Listed Buildings

//Listed Buildings
Listed Buildings2018-09-10T10:26:02+00:00
Kimbridge House, Kimbridge Lane Grade II
Medium-sized country house. 1865 on tablet and 1905-6 in Arts & Crafts Style. Brick with tilehung and false timber-framing and old plain tile roof. Plan of 2 storey and attic, 6 bays, with short wing on side at one end with gable opposite, building in 1865, then in 1905-6 front altered by addition of 2 bay, 2 storey parallel range incorporating short wing and in front another wing. At other end double pile 2-gable wing. In between wings front outshot with door in centre, connected to end with double wing contemporary low service building of T-shaped plan. Front has to R of centre gabled timber porch on brick plinth open in front, under heavy carved top-glazed door. Each side 3-light casement with ogee-head. Over on outshot roof 2 3-light hip-roofed casement. In short parallel range to L 4-light transomed window. Projecting forward to L tilehung gabled wing with on R side projecting oriel with gable over. On end at R 2-light casement with 3-light casement over. At R end double gabled wing with in L bay 3-light casement on each floor, and in R bay have 2 storey canted bay with 4-light casement on each floor. On side at 1st floor level gabled oriel. All windows have leaded lights. Ridge Stack to bay each side of door and between end bays with stack between gables of R wings, and stack on R side of L wing cutting into gable. T-shaped service range has round and octagonal windows with tile dressings, hipped roof with gablets and on corner near wall intricate brick and tile stack. Wall in along roadside has tiled coping with ramps up over doorway with tile dressing and carved oak door.
Barn, Stockbridge Road, Behind Stoneymarsh Cottage Grade II
Barn. C17. Timber-frame weatherboarded on brick plinth, corrugated iron roof. 3? bay barn with outshot to end 2 bays on 1 side and double doors in centre bay. Inside queen post roof, with curved braces to tiebeams and wall plates.
The Bear & Ragged Staff, Stockbridge Road Grade II
Public House. Late C18 with early C19 range behind. Brick, old plain tile roof. 2 storey, 4 bay range with similar slate roof C19 range to rear, and single storey C20 lean-tos to each end. Front has in centre and between R bays planked door in segmental head opening. In L bays 4-light segmental head casements and in R bays 3-light segmental head casement. On 1st floor 4 3-light casements. End stacks. At L end C20 lean-to with casement and flat-roofed lean-to art R end. Contemporary stable block beside.
The Malthouse Inn, Stockbridge Road Grade II
Public House. Mid C18 altered to rear C20. Brick in header bond, old plain tile roof. 2 storey, 3 bay building outshot to rear. Central gabled timber and brick porch with half-glazed door. Each side 12-pane sash under rubbed brick arch and shutters. 1st floor raised blue header band. On 1st floor 3 12-pane sashes. End stacks with C19 combed ridge tiles. Weatherboarded garage to L and C20 toilet block to R.
Hunts Farmhouse, Rudd Lane Grade II
Farmhouse. Late C17 extended C18 & C19. Brick, old English bond, old plain tile roof. 4 bay C17 building with 2 C18 bays to R and C18 and C19 range to rear. Front 2 storey, 6 bay 6-panel C18 door in L of centre bay under flat-roofed Doric porch. In each of other bays C19 French windows under original segmental arches. On 1st floor to L, R 2 bays and in door bay 12-pane sash under timber lintel. Medieval combed ridge tiles. R of centre large ridge stack with 3 diamond shafts, and end stacks.
Granary, Rudd Lane 5 metres west of Hunts Farmhouse Grade II
Granary. C18. Timber-frame weatherboarded, on staddle stones, slate roof. 3 bay on 20 staddle stones. Sliding door in one side near end and door on end. Roof half-hipped.
Granary, Rudd Lane 5 metres west of Hunts Farmhouse Grade II
Group of barns 20 metres north of Hunts Farmhouse. C17 and C18. Timber-frame weatherboarded on brick plinth, corrugated iron roof and brick and slate lean-tos. Plan of 2 separate C17 barns later linked. One 5 bay barn with central midstray porch with hipped roof. In front each side lean-tos with central stable door and window , each side. To R end C18 added 2 bays to barn. Continuous half-hipped roof. To L end lower 11/2 story 2 bay range with stable doors and mullioned windows, half-hipped roof. At L end 3 bay infill betwwen barns with slate roof and stable door in centre. Set at rightangles, stancding forward other C17 barn. On side central hipped midstray porch and to one side brick lean-to. Half-hipped roof. Inside C17 barns queen-post roof with braces to ties. Other parts have later rougher roof trusses.
No 1 Glenwood Cottages (Pump Cottage) and
No 2 Glenwood Cottages (Brackenwood Cottage), Rudd Lane
Grade II”
House, now two dwellings. C16, 2 phases, with C17 alterations; C18, C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Timber frame with wattle and daub infill, most infill replaced by brick, and brick, rendered and painted; diamond pattern asbestos cement slates to roof; brick stacks. 3 framed bays, now with baffle entry: left bay the earliest and originally lower-roofed, the raising apparently of same period as right bays of which central, narrower, bay was probably originally a smoke bay; right bay has 1st and attic floors inserted C17; stack inserted in smoke bay C17, with smoking chamber formed at front on 1st floor probably C18; rear outshot C17, altered; bay aades to left end early C20; bay added to right end and large 2-storey addition to rear right 1975. Elevation now of one storey with attic; 5 bays with added single storey bay at left end. Central C18 door, now part-glazed; late C20 door under pent canopy at right end. 3-light casement windows with horizontal glazing bars, the 4 attic windows in flat-roofed dormers. Central T-plan ridge stack, of 2 builds, and one near left end. Rear: some exposed timber framing at centre. Interior: rectangular-panelled framing with straight braces and jowelled wall posts; chamfered spine-beams, in right bay with lambs tongue stops and that on ground floor supported at right end by moulded bracket, in left bay with bar and lambs tongue stops; old joists, chamfered in left bay, and floorboards (in left bay with remains of leather draft-excluding strips); queen strut and queen post roof trusses with principal rafters and clasped purlins; pegged rafters, smoke-blackened in centre bay, and somewhat in right bay. Other features of interest include: large fireplace in original left bay which has timber bressumer , former bread oven, and flue up to smoking chamber; also in this bay, old board doors to entrance lobby and on 1st floor to cupboard and smoking chamber which is lined in smoke-blackened plaster (mostly collapsed) and has rat-trap bond brickwork; C18 fireplace in right bay with curved rear corners.
Warblers Cottage, Chapel Lane Grade II”
Cottage. C17 extended C20. Timber-frame, brick repairs and extension, partly painted, thatched roof. 11/2 storey, 2 bay cottage of poor framing, C20 1 storey bay added to end. Front has central gabled briick and tile porch with old plank door. Each side 2-light casement, and over 2 or 3-light casement in eyebrow dormer. End stacks. C20 bay on R end with 2-light casement and half-hipped roof.
Elizabethan Cottage, Chapel Lane Grade II”
Cottage. C16 altered C18 and C20. Timber-frame with painted brick infill and additions, shingle roof. 11/2 storey, 3 bay with C18 hip bay with lean-to front of it and bay beside. Front has early C20 timber-frame and brick gabled tile porch in RH bay with plank door and plank door in lean-to to L bay. 2 2-light leaded casement in lean-to. Single leaded casement each side of R door and in exposed part of L centre bay 3-light leaded casement in centre C17 bay. Over 3-light casement in flat-roofed dormer and similar 2-light in R bay. Roof hipped to L and half-hipped to R with external end stack and ridge stack between centre and L C17 bays.
Wealden, Chapel Lane Grade II”
House. Late C18. Painted brick and weather-boarded addition, old plain tile roof. 2 storey, 3 bay with single storey 2 bay wing to R. Front has central glazed door under open gabled timber porch. Each side 2-light casements. All openings with segmental heads. End stacks. 2-light casements in addition.
Michelmersh Court, Church Road Grade II”
Rectory, now private house. Late C18 altered and extended C19 & C20. Brick with decorative blue headers, slate roofs. 2 storey and attic on cellar, originally 5 x 5 bay, altered entrance front, original garden side, garden front has early C19 octagonal bay, other side has C19 and C20 1 & 2 storey additions. Entrance front has C20 double doors off-centre to R under altered wide pedimented Doric porch. Above C19 tall roundheaded 17-pane sash under blue header arch. In R of centre bay early C19 20 pane segmental head sash with 2 12-pane segmental head sashes over. R bay has in front C20 single storey addition in matching style. Between L bays projecting side stack capped at cornice. Painted brick modillioned cornice. Parapet with panel above each bay. Roof hipped with stacks at ends of ridge. To L garden side has 3 Portland stone steps up to C19 glazed door in heavy doorcase, under shell hood on moulded console brackets. 9 12-pane sashes under rubbed brick arches. 1st floor blue header band. Same cornice and parapet. Roof hipped with stacks behind on return ridges, that to left with blank arches. Low down 2 flat-roofed 6-pane dormers. Inside roofs on garden side have c1800 stripped softwood panelling with contemporary carved timber or reeded painted stone fire surrounds. Staircase behind door C19.
Stableblock, Church Road Grade II”
Stableblock 20 metres southwest of Michelmersh Court, now garages. Late C18. Brick, old plain tile roof. 11/2 storey, 4? bay. Side facing garden has recessed panel under arch in each bay. R 2 baysblank. Segmental head planked door or 2-light segmental head casement in other bays. Roof half-hipped with stack on L hip. Other side garages with dormers over.”),
Walled Garden, Church Road Grade II”
Garden walls, 150 metres southwest of Michelmersh Court. Late C18. Brick. 3 sides of garden have brick wall, 2m high on E, road side of double thickness up to 1.5m and then offsetting to single thickness with brick-on-end coping. In centre 2 later brick piers with double doors. Ramped up at end to N wall 3m high 60m long with stepped piers every 10m, corner square piers and tile coping. W wall similar to E, no S wall as garden runs down to pond bounded by back of farm buildings.”),
Church of St Mary, Church Road Grade II”
Parish Church. C12 church but chancel lengthened mid C13 and N & S transeptual chapels added (S demolished, N vestry), later S aisle, C16 SW separate belfry and refenestration, 1847 restoration and S porch. Flint with stone dressings, old plain tile roofs, timber-frame and weatherboarded belfry and porch. Plan of long chancel (E part C13), with N vestry/chapel to W bay, nave C12 with C14 S aisle having to W C16 2-stage belfry, and in centre C19 porch. E end of chancel has C13 stepped triple lancets window and C13 sanctus bell opening in gable. To S at EC13 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled window with net tracery. In centre C13 double lancet window, and at W C13 triple lancet window with trefoiled centre light. N wall has at E restored C13 double lancet window. Below, to E, early C18 monument to Margaret Barbar. In front of rest parallel roofed N transept, to ends triple lancet window with trefoils, to N side 3-centred doorway and triple lancet. Nave has to N 3 huge early C16 squareheaded 3-light cinquefoiled windows, that to W restored, tall stepped buttresses between and at W. S aisle as to E half C19 foiled and ogee-headed lancets. In centre C19 gabled timber porch with carved barge-boards. Beside on W, C19 ogee-headed lancet and buttress at W end under tiled coping extending from roof. Square-plan 2-stage belfry with 2-light bell-openings on each face and hipped roof with weathervane. At W end of nave has C16 chamfered roundheaded doorway, 2-light window in square-head and on each corner tall stepped buttresses. Inside chancel, E window has splayed pointed arch as does N window and central 5 windows. SE window has flat arch and pointed niche in W splay, and reset C13 stained glass heads. SW window below S transept arch. Transept arches chamfered roundheaded, to S arch remains of imposts and shafts, to N arch part of medieval coffin lid in E tomb. In front of N arch on C20 base, c1320 stone effigy of Sir Geoffrey de Canterton. On chancel walls monuments : 1538 to Tristram Fantelroy; 1737 to Rev Charles Cranley; 1796 to Rev Baker. At W floor slabs: 1699 to Richard Mannyngham; 1695 to Silena Manningham; 1682 to Rev Richard Mannyngham; 1725 to Phillis Shiplam;medieval slab with lost inlays. Chancel arch C19 chamfered pointed arch lying into walls. S arcade 2 bays, similar. In SW wall high-set door for gallery. On W wall Royal Arms GIIIR. In aisle at W end monument 1682 to Sir William Ogle. Below and to N C17 dado panelling. In front C13 font recarved early C16 of cushion bowl with carved lilies and grotesques on corners to square botttom on drum base. VCH; Vol 3; 1908; p426-7. Pevsner; Hampshire; 1967; p335.
2 headstones, Church of St Mary, Church Road Grade II”
2 headstones, South of south aisle. Mid C18. Stone. Timothy Brice 1739; Mrs Brice 17-
6 headstones, Church of St Mary, Church Road Grade II”
6 headstones, 10 metres south of chancel. Late C17 and C18. Stone. Thomas Richard 1713, wife 17-, Sarah Drake 1780, John Drake 1771, Robin Thomas late C17, other illegible late C17.
Barn, Old Michelmersh Farm, Church Road Grade II”
Barn. C18. Timber-frame weatherboarded on brick plinth, slate roof. 10 bay barn with projecting hipped midstray porches in 3rd bay in from each end, lean-to to front between porches and temporary C20 lean-tos along rear. Double doors to porches and opposite. Stable doors and windows to lean-to of same construction. Roof half-hipped. Inside low-pitched queen-post roof with curved braces to tiebeams, straight windbraces and diagonal studding in walls. One end has cellar below as ground falls away. In a C18 farm group. Included for group value.
Michelmersh House, Church Road Grade II”
Farmhouse now private house. Early C19 altered C19. Brick front rendered and painted, slate roof. 2 storey, 3 bay and stable block on R side. Front has central Doric porch, glazed in with double french doors. Each side rectangular bay windows with tripartite sashes. 3 tripartite sashes over. Covered plaster eaves, hipped roof. Behind ridge 3 stacks. LH side has 3-light segmental head casements, and connected by short wall, 3 bay, 11/2 storey stables with double doors and stable doors, and hipped roof.
Church Corner House, Church Road Grade II”
House, once cottages. Early C18. Brick, old plain tile roof. End onto road 2 storey, 3 bay outshot to rear and wing to rear of far bay. Front has 2-panel door in solid frame under C20 flat 3 hood in centre. Each side 3-light segmental head casement, with similar over and 2-light in centre. All windows have rubbed brick arches. Hipped roof.
Church Corner House, Church Road Grade II”
Cottage. C17, encased and extended C18. Timber-frame with brick infill and brick header bond refronting, thatched roof. 11/2 storey, 2 bay cottage, with C18 hip bay at each end. Front has plank door in solid segmental head frame at LH of L bay. 2-light segmental head casement in each bay. RH hip bay has plank door with light over. Above each bay 2-light casement in eyebrow dormer. Roof swept-down both ends with stacks at L end of ridge.
Manor Farm House, Manor Farm Lane Grade II”
Farmhouse. C13 medieval grange core, c1700 farmhouse range with C19 addition and refenestration, restored 1983-84. Old part flint, mainly painted, stone dressings, brick rebuilding, old plain tile roof, rest brick with blue headers and Flemish garden wall bond, old plain tile roof. 2 storey, 3 bay C13 part, possibly chapel or bailiff’s lodgings on end of hall, of which wall survives on one side. On other c1700 2 storey, 3 bay range with 2 bays added to end, projecting beyond C13 part. Front has in centre C18 bay C20 gabled timber porch, inside top-lit wide C18 6-panel door. To L, C19 bays with planked door to R bay. In other bays C19 paired 4-pane sashes with similar on 1st floor and 4-pane sashes over doors. Roof half-hipped to R, and stack at L end. On rear C13 range has to centre bay tall C13 lancet and in C15 opening C20 timber cusped 3-light window, both with leaded lights. Over 12-pane sash. In L bay small rectangular lancet with C20 window, over tripartite sash. Theses bays rendered. R bay refaced in brick, in front wall of hall with pointed doorway, and built on this on hall site, conservatory. To R end C13 lancets either side of C14 squareheaded 3-light trefoiled and transomed window, C20 restoration except for head. Over in C15 opening, C20 timber 4-light cusped window. On corner sloping buttress. Inside house in C13 range on ground floors most rear arches complete and on side against later range C13 lancet and near ends pointed doorway with old doors. On opposiet side pointed door originally into hall. C18 part has behind door hall with some panelling and contemporary double dogleg staircase with moulded handrail, turned balusters, square newel, and dado panelling. In end room of c1800 panelling with roundheaded cupboard and carved fireplace. On other side of hall room with massive depressed arch brick fireplace.
Staddle Barn, Manor Farm Lane Grade II”
Staddle barn, 15 metres north of Manor Farmhouse. Mid C18. Timber-frame weatherboarded on staddle stones, old plain tile roof. On 64 staddle stones, aisled 5 bay barn. On front double doors in centre bay, others opposite, and door in bay beside. Ends have series of 4 doors on top of each other. Roof half-hipped. Inside queen-strut roof with braces to tiebeams and aisleplates, some windbraces
Barn, Mesh Road Grade II”
Barn, beside Corner Barn House. C18. Timber-frame weatherboarded on brick plinth, thatched roof. 3 bay barn with outshot bay at each end. Central double doors, stable doors in L outshot and door to store in R outshot. Roof hipped and swept down. Inside queen-post roof with curved braces to tiebeams.
Orchard Cottage, Mesh Road Grade II”
Cottage. C17. Timber-frame, brick infill, thatched roof. 11/2 storey, 2 bay with outshot or hip-bay on ends. Front has plinth, and 4-panel door above steps at RH of L bay. To L 3-light casement and at L end weatherboarded outshot which projects forward. In R bay 2-light casement and pair of 3-light casements above and below frame member. Similar casement in R hip bay. Roof hipped and swept down to L, with ridge piece and stack above door.
Barn Cottage, Mesh Road Grade II”
House. Early C18. Brick, old plain tile roof. 2 storey, 3 bay L bay added mid C18. Front has top-lit to at LH of centre bay. 3-light casement in each bay on both floors. L bay slightly set back, ornate rubbed brick arch with moulded brick cornice over top of window. External stepped stack at L end and stack to R of centre.
Old House, School Lane Grade II”
Cottage C17 extended C18 and C20. Timber-frame core, brick, thatched roof. 11/2 storey, 3 bay C17 building with bay added to L and outshots to each end, C20 wing to rear in centre. Front 11/2 storey, 4 bays with outshots to ends. In R of centre bay wide projecting timber and thatch porch with open porch with seats in front and ledged door with leaded windows either side. Each side 2-light segmental head casements and outside it leaded 3-light oriel window with segmental roof. In L bay 2-light casement and in outshots single casements. Weatherboarded outshot to R. Roof hipped and swept down with ridge piece. T-section stack above door.
Church of St Andrew, St Andrews Close Grade II”
Church. C13 church, chancel rebuilt C15, C16 porch and bellcote, restored C18 and 1847. Rubble flint and stone, rendered, stone dressings, weatherboarded porch and bellcote, old plain tile roof. Plan of C15 chancel to C13 nave with central S porch and W bellcote, W bay of nave is vestry. Chancel has stone plinth with offset. E end has 3-light cinquefoiled window with label, and C19 kneelered gable. To sides at W squareheaded single light similar window. On S wall 2 C18 oval memorials. Nave has to each side, at E rendered brick arch window of C18 form but with earlier jambs, and to W of centre C13 large pointed lancet. On S side, has central C16 gabled timber porch on brick plinth; end has large posts and tie with arch head cut out of tie. C19 bargeboards and sides. Inside C13 chamfered round-headed door. On E side C18 tablet, on W C17 headstone. Above to W 2-light gabled dormer. At W C13 ogee chamfered pointed door and C18 brick S buttress. Over square plan bellcote with continuous louvre on sides. Roof hipped. Inside chancel E window within continuous chamfered rear arch. Each side C15 moulded image bracket. In SE squareheaded cinquefoild niche with pillar piscina below. Side windows have similar rear arches. C19 furnishing and tiles. Plastered ceiling with only chamfered tiebeam visible. C19 chancel arch of 2 moulded orders springing off huge plain corbels. Screen C16 of central archway with carve spandrels and each side in top half trefoiled, arcading. Nave has to SE window splayed rear arch, with below window remains of rear arch of lancet. NE window has splay to E and in splay below inset medieval tiles. Wide splays to central N window and flat lintel to door. By door C18 octagonal font on pillar and base. Above door to E remains of wall painting. King post roof. W bay blocked off by panelling below tiebeam, plaster above, Royal Arms Board GR 1788. In NE C17 timber pulpit with arcaded panels carved corbels for book rest and door. In SW corner cupboard dated 1713. At E floor slab William Hunt 1756, at W Richard Harris 1679. On S side C16 pews with round finials on ends. On N C19 restored plainer pews.
2 headstones, St Andrew’s Church Grade II”
2 headstones, 10 metres south of chancel
Early/mid C18. Stone. Leaning together, both with carved heads. 1757 to Joseph Blundell, early one has illegible inscription, earlier design on head.
The Old School, St Andrews Close Grade II”
School and House. 1847 on tablet. Squared knapped flint, brick and stone dressings slate roof. T-shaped plan of tall 11/2 storey, 2 bay schoolroom at right angles to rear. Road elevation has central large chimney stack topped by triple brick shafts joined in head. In R bay 2-light casement in chamfered opening with label. Kneelered gable walls. On ends 3-light similar windows with 2-light similar in gable over.

Photographs

To see photographs of many of our listed buildings visit The English Heritage site Images of England

www.imagesofengland.org.uk